Paris Culture > Ref: Paris-Culture
Required: 301 or equiv. Prepare for CECR B1/B2 level.
Ce cours permettra aux étudiants plus avancés de développer leur compétence en français oral tout en examinant les raisons des différences culturelles entre les français et les américains. Le focus du cours se fera sur l'histoire de Paris. En effet, la plupart des différences culturelles entre les deux sociétés s'expliquent par l'histoire : celle de Paris, qui a donné à la France sa langue et sa culture. Les étudiants feront des recherches sur des sujets particuliers et présenteront leurs recherches oralement à la classe. Par exemple: "L'importance des salons dans la société française au XVIIIème siècle". Une liste de sujets de présentations sera distribuée à la classe le premier jour au choix des étudiants. Il y aura une présentation avec diaporama faîte par le professeur sur la période historique et les monuments correspondants encore visibles à Paris à chaque séance ainsi qu'une discussion. Un livre français sur les différences culturelles servira de guide-conducteur à la discussion.
|Sep 12th to Nov 14th|
Alliance Française Class Enrollment Policies
- Registrations are accepted in the order received until the class is full (average class size is 5-8; maximum class size is 10-12).
- Membership: Alliance Française membership is required for all students. The membership fee is valid for 12 full months and carries these benefits: eligibility to register for classes, discounts at retailers and restaurants, access to the School’s lending library of books and audio/video materials, and invitations and discounts to social and cultural events. Membership fees are not refundable.
- Special Discounts:
- Receive a 10% Earlybird discount when paying in full for full-term classes (10 weeks), by the designated ‘earlybird’ deadline, for group classes,
- 15% discount for Seniors (65 and older) who register and pay in full, for group classes (the discount is not valid for private lessons). Note: only one special discount at a time, please. The discounts apply to the course fee; discounts do not apply to books or membership fees.
- FlexPay Plan: Pay $125 to register (plus applicable books and membership) and then pay the balance at mid-term. Note: Earlybird or Senior discounts don’t apply to FlexPay plans; applicable only to 10-week classes.
- Enrollment Quotas and Staffing: A minimum of four enrollments is required to open a class. If this quota is not met, the Alliance Française will use its discretion to open the class anyway, cancel the class or offer alternatives.
- Trial Class: Students may attend one class on a try-out basis, at no charge, for evaluation purposes, as long as the class is not at maximum enrollment.
Alliance Française Refund Policy
The Alliance is a nonprofit organization that hires top-caliber teachers and which establishes class schedules based on enrollments at the start of a session. Therefore our refund policy is restricted as described below.
- Notification: Class withdrawals must be made in writing, submitted to the Alliance office, and should specify the submitter’s request for
- a refund (terms below),
- a course credit, or
- agreement to offer up potential refunds as a donation to the 501c3 organization (i.e., tax deductible).
- Missed Classes: Missed classes are not refunded. However, students who miss a class are welcome to audit another class at a similar level, which can be very beneficial.
- Private Lessons or Custom Small-Group Instruction: Students in private lessons must notify their teacher at least 24 hours in advance, by phone, of any change in scheduled sessions.
The Alliance Française de Portland reserves the right to modify policies at any time and will make every effort to determine suitable solutions for situations not covered here. In all cases, the decision of the Alliance Française is final and binding.
Method: Books for Conversation Classes
Books are sometimes recommended for Conversation Classes, depending on the class. For those classes, book fees are collected at the first class.
Instructor: Marie-Pierre Wolfe
Marie-Pierre is originally from Lyon and has also lived in Japan, Paris and New York. Marie-Pierre was one of the founders of the French Elementary School program of the Eugene 4-J public school district and more recently served as a school principal in France before returning to the US where she enjoys teaching at the Alliance as well as serving on its board.