French Conversation Groups
Conversation groups in Oregon and Southwest Washington are available for varied levels of French. Conversation groups are a great way to strengthen existing language skills, motivate continued learning as well as meet others who share a passion for French. Participation is free and pre-registration may be required. Check individual listings below for more details. Currently all groups meet online.
FEATURED CONVERSATION GROUP THROUGH ALLIANCE
- Weekly Apéro-Conversation Group: The Alliance free weekly conversation group on Zoom, run by board members and other volunteers, is available for drop-in conversation on Wednesday nights at 5:15pm. Check the events page on the Alliance website for further details. This free group is for Alliance members only. Sign up here for membership. (just $36 provides membership benefits for a full year, and is tax-deductible.)
- Sign up for Alliance Convo à la carte: Private, informal one-on-one conversation sessions on Zoom. Further details can be found here.
NORTHWEST AND CENTRAL PORTLAND
- Groupe francophone: Meets Saturdays, online, at 10:30am. Contact Angela Wykoff for more information. This group tends to be for advanced/fluent levels.
- Les Copains du Dimanche: All levels are welcome to this conversation group on Zoom, Sundays at 4:00pm. hosted by Alliance member Alan Grinnell. Contact Alan for more details.
- French Book Club: A French language and literature group meets every month to discuss a French-language book. Participants read the book in French and discuss it in French on Zoom. Contact Alliance member Cindy Crawford for more information.
- Samedi au Village: Contact Stephane Cohen for more information. All levels welcome. (This group met at Grand Central Bakery-Multnomah Village)
- French In and Around Silverton: This group is for people interested in French culture and /or speaking and improving their French language skills. Meets in and around different locations in Silverton, Oregon (mid-Willamette Valley - Silverton, Salem, Keizer, Woodburn and other nearby areas). For French enthusiasts who enjoy discussions, some cool film nights, and coffee shop socials. Organizer - Paul Aranas. https://www.meetup.com/French-in-and-around-Silverton/
- Eugene French Language Conversation Group: This is a group for those who want to practice their French language skills and help others learn in a casual, relaxed setting, usually at dinner at a restaurant which probably will be held monthly. Additional activities such as outings to movies might be added from time to time, but the "anchor" will be the monthly dinner. This is a conversation and socialization group, not a class. À tout à l'heure! ? Organizer - Laurie Steinbruck. https://www.meetup.com/Eugene-French-Language-Group/
- French Conversation Meetup: Come and join French native Sophie and have fun while practicing/improving your French. Share your thoughts in French about wine, cheese, books, music... Or if you have an upcoming trip planned to France, she'd love to suggest tips and places to see! A bientôt! (Any level welcome - no registration needed.) Organizer - Sophie Bourgeat. https://www.meetup.com/Portland-French-Conversation-Meetup/
- The Corvallis group: Contact Jody Altendorf for further information about this long-standing Willamette Valley group. All levels welcome.