French Conversation Groups
These Alliance Française conversation groups are hosted by persons who are Alliance board members or volunteers. Participation is free (Alliance Française membership is encouraged), no pre-registration is required, drop-ins are welcome. Attendance ranges from 5 to 25 people, and levels can vary by group. Beginners are encouraged to attend and participate as much or as little as they feel comfortable with. French conversation groups are a great way to strengthen what you have learned and stay motivated to continue studying.
- St. Honoré Boulangerie, first and third Wednesdays of each month, 6:00 – 8:00 p.m., 2335 NW Thurman Street. Hosted by AF volunteer Pamela Tower. Debutante/beginners welcome.
- Palio’s Dessert & Espresso House, first Saturday of each month, 11:00 a.m. – noon, 1996 SE Ladd Avenue. Hosted by AF volunteers. Advanced/fluent level.
- Pacific House East, second Tuesday of each month at 5:30 p.m., 315 NE 192nd Ave. #301, Camas, WA. Hosted by Sheryl Meservey. All levels welcome.
- Chez Machin, second Monday of each month, 7:00-8:30 p.m., at 3553 SE Hawthorne Boulevard. Hosted by Jennifer Coyne. All levels welcome.
- Market of Choice, every Sunday, 4:00-5:30 p.m.,1090 SE Belmont Street. Hosted by Jennifer Coyne. All levels welcome.
- French Book Club, every other month, 3:00-4:30 p.m., this French language and literature group meets in locations in SE Portland to discuss a French-language book. Hosted by Cindy Crawford. All levels welcome.
The list below shows all groups in Oregon and Southwest Washington organized by location:
NORTHWEST AND CENTRAL PORTLAND
- Alliance Group at St. Honoré Boulangerie at 2335 NW Thurman Street, first and third Wednesdays of each month, 6:00 – 8:00 p.m. Hosted by AF member Pamela Tower. Contact Pamela for more information. This group particularly welcomes beginning level French students.
- Groupe francophone: Meets Saturdays from 10:30 a.m. to 12:00 noon at The Mezz Espresso Bar, at Whole Foods in the Pearl District at the corner of NW 12th and Burnside. Contact Frank Cardinaux for more information. This group tends to be for advanced/fluent levels.
- Fluent/Advanced French Conversation Group: Meets the first Saturday of each month from 11:00 a.m. to 12:00 noon. The group will next meet November 7 at Palio’s Dessert & Espresso House, 1996 SE Ladd Avenue, Portland 97214. Hosted by AF Volunteers. Native, fluent and advanced speakers welcome.
- Alliance group at Chez Machin: Meets the second Monday of each month for Crêpes et Conversation, 7:00-8:30 p.m., Chez Machin, 3553 SE Hawthorne Boulevard. Hosted by Alliance board member Jennifer Coyne. Contact Jennifer for more information. All levels welcome.
- Alliance group, les Copains du Dimanche: Meets every Sunday, 4:00-5:30 p.m. on the mezzanine of the Market of Choice, 1090 SE Belmont Street, Portland, OR 97214. Hosted by Alliance board member Jennifer Coyne. Contact Jennifer for more information. All levels welcome.
- French Book Club: A French language and literature group meets every other month to discuss a French-language book. Participants read the book in French and discuss it in French at a venue announced in advance. Contact Cindy Crawford for more information.
Samedi au Village: Grand Central Bakery – Multnomah Village, 3425 SW Multnomah Boulevard, Portland, OR 97219. Meets on Saturdays, 4:30-6:00 p.m. Contact Stephane Cohen for more information. All levels welcome.
The Alliance group in Vancouver: Second Tuesday of the month, 5:30 p.m., at the Pacific House East, 315 NE 192nd Ave. #301, Camas, WA. Merci to Alliance member Sheryl Meservey for leading the group, which draws 10-15 participants. Contact Sheryl for further information.
The Corvallis group: Celebrated its 50th year in 2014, averages 25-30 people for its weekly meetings, Tuesday mornings from 10-12. For further info contact Jody Altendorf. All levels welcome.
CONVO AT THE ALLIANCE
Sign up for Convo à la carte, a one-on-one conversation session at the Portland Alliance. $15 for a half hour session. Call 503.223.8388 for more information.