French Conversation Groups
Conversation groups in Portland are available for varied levels of French. Participation is free, pre-registration is usually not required, and drop-ins are welcome. Attendance ranges from 5 to 25 people, and levels can vary by group. French conversation groups are a great way to strengthen what you have learned and stay motivated to continue studying.
The list below shows all groups in Oregon and Southwest Washington organized by location:
CONVO AT THE ALLIANCE IN DOWNTOWN PORTLAND
- Alliance Group at the Kamm House at 1425 SW 20th Ave., the third Saturday of the month, 1:00 – 2:00 p.m. Hosted by Alliance volunteer Natacha Desnos from Le Mans. This group is for current Alliance members only (membership starts at $20 per year). Contact the Alliance for more information or check the events page on the Alliance website to reserve your spot for the next meeting. All levels of French are welcome.
- Sign up for Convo à la carte, private one-on-one conversation sessions at the Portland Alliance. $15 for a half hour session. Call 503.223.8388 for more information.
NORTHWEST AND CENTRAL PORTLAND
- Groupe francophone: Meets Saturdays from 10:30 a.m. to 12:00 noon at The Mezz Espresso Bar, at Whole Foods in the Pearl District at the corner of NW 12th and Burnside. Contact Frank Cardinaux for more information. This group tends to be for advanced/fluent levels.
- Alliance Group at the Kamm House at 1425 SW 20th Ave., the third Saturday of the month, 1:00 – 2:00 p.m. Hosted by Alliance volunteer Natacha Desnos from Le Mans. Contact the Alliance for more information or check the website for dates. This group is for current Alliance members only (membership starts at $20 per year). All levels of French are welcome.
- Parlez Français: Meets every Tuesday night at 6:30 pm at the Ecotrust building across the street from Jamison Park in the Pearl. This group originally met at Le Happy years ago. Lead by Clare Quinn. https://www.meetup.com/Parlez-Francais-Speak-French/
- Fluent/Advanced French Conversation Group: Meets the first Saturday of each month from 11:00 a.m. to 12:00 noon. The group meets at Palio’s Dessert & Espresso House, 1996 SE Ladd Avenue, Portland 97214. Hosted by AF Volunteers. Native, fluent and advanced speakers welcome.
- Alliance group at Chez Machin: Meets the second Monday of each month for Crêpes et Conversation, 7:00-8:30 p.m., Chez Machin, 3553 SE Hawthorne Boulevard. Hosted by Alliance volunteer Clare Quinn. Contact the Alliance for more information. All levels welcome.
- Alliance group, les Copains du Dimanche: Meets every Sunday, 4:00-5:30 p.m. on the mezzanine of the Market of Choice, 1090 SE Belmont Street, Portland, OR 97214. Hosted by Alliance member Alan Grinnell. Contact Alan for more information. All levels welcome.
- French Book Club: A French language and literature group meets every other month to discuss a French-language book. Participants read the book in French and discuss it in French at a venue announced in advance. Contact Cindy Crawford for more information.
- Samedi au Village: Grand Central Bakery – Multnomah Village, 3425 SW Multnomah Boulevard, Portland, OR 97219. Meets on Saturdays, 4:30-6:00 p.m. Contact Stephane Cohen for more information. All levels welcome.
- Beaverton French Conversation & Culture Meetup: This is a group for all levels of French speakers in the Southwest/West Portland/Beaverton area who want to connect with one another and share our love for the language and culture. Francophones of all backgrounds and countries welcome! Let's share our common enjoyment of all things French over a cup of coffee, a meal, or special event! Group typically meets twice a month: once on a Thursday evening and once on a Friday during the day. For more information contact organizer Bob Lamarche.
- Hillsboro French Language Meetup Group: Meet new friends and practice your French! More information or to contact organizer Russ, click here: https://www.meetup.com/Hillsboro-French-Language-Meetup-Group/
- The Alliance group in Vancouver: Second Tuesday of the month, 5:30 p.m., at the Pacific House East, 315 NE 192nd Ave. #301, Camas, WA. Merci to Alliance member Sheryl Meservey for leading the group, which draws 10-15 participants. Contact Sheryl for further information.
- French In and Around Silverton: This group is for people interested in French culture and /or speaking and improving their French language skills. Meets in and around different locations in Silverton, Oregon (mid-Willamette Valley - Silverton, Salem, Keizer, Woodburn and other nearby areas). For French enthusiasts who enjoy discussions, some cool film nights, and coffee shop socials. Organizer - Paul Aranas. https://www.meetup.com/French-in-and-around-Silverton/
- Eugene French Language Conversation Group: This is a group for those who want to practice their French language skills and help others learn in a casual, relaxed setting, usually at dinner at a restaurant which probably will be held monthly. Additional activities such as outings to movies might be added from time to time, but the "anchor" will be the monthly dinner. This is a conversation and socialization group, not a class. À tout à l'heure! ? Organizer - Laurie Steinbruck. https://www.meetup.com/Eugene-French-Language-Group/
- French Conversation Meetup: Come and join French native Sophie and have fun while practicing/improving your French. Share your thoughts in French about wine, cheese, books, music... Or if you have an upcoming trip planned to France, she'd love to suggest tips and places to see! A bientôt! (Any level welcome - no registration needed.) Meetings are held every other Saturday at Rohst Coffee in Milwaukie. Organizer - Sophie Bourgeat. https://www.meetup.com/Portland-French-Conversation-Meetup/
- The Corvallis group: Celebrated its 55th year in 2019, averages 25-30 people for its weekly meetings, Tuesday mornings from 10-12. For further info and location, contact Jody Altendorf. All levels welcome.