The Alliance Française, headquartered in Paris, is a worldwide non-profit organization with the mission of promoting Francophone culture and language and cross-cultural understanding. There are over 1,000 Alliances in the world. Of 100 Alliances in the U.S., the Portland group is the only Alliance in Oregon and ranks 8th in the United States.
Winter Term 2013 – January 7 through March 16, 2013
Spring Term 2013 – April 1 through June 8, 2013
Summer Term 2013 – June 24 through August 31, 2013
Fall Term 2013 – September 16 through November 23, 2013
Private lessons are held year-round.
Open House dates in 2013: March 21, 2013 (for the Spring Term); June 13, 2013 (for the Summer Term); September 5, 2013 (for the Fall Term); December 5 (for the Winter 2014 term).
Other 2013 dates: The First Annual Dinner and Auction (SOIREE MOULIN ROUGE) will be held April 20 at the Multnomah Athetic Club (The MAC). Bastille Day will be Saturday, July 13 at Director Park. And the Beaujolais Nouveau event will be Nov. 22, 2013 at the Heathman.
The Alliance is a nonprofit 501(c)3 organization with a volunteer board of directors.
The Alliance hires teachers who have FLE experience and who have CIEP/CECR C1/C2-level fluency in the language. Candidates must have proof of legal authority to work in the United States and generally must be local recruits. Send employment inquiries to email@example.com.
Anti-discrimination statement: The Alliance does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, veteran status, disability, marital status, or sexual orientation in any of its programs or activities.
Board Officers and Members
|President||Lisa Brock (Marketing Professional)|
|Vice-President||Bev Voytko (Retired Insurance Industry Executive)|
|Treasurer||Judy Kafoury (Executive Director of the Northwest Children’s Theater)|
|Secretary||Sherry Charles (Professional Graphics/Web Consultant)|
Alliance Board Members
|Leslie Averill (Dental Practice Manager)|
|Jennifer Coyne (Portland-Area School Teacher)|
|Richard Sullivan MD (Academic Physician)|
|Pascale Theurier (Travel Industry Sales Director)|
|Marie-Pierre Wolfe (FLE Instructor & Fomer School Head)|
|Executive Director||Linda Witt (Witt is a Chevalier dans l’Ordre des Palmes Académiques & Vice-President of the FACC PNW)|
|Education Manager||Kathryn Mascorella|
|Children’s Program Manager||Jane Fabulet-Roberts|
|Cultural Events & Classes Coordinator||Pascaline Lefebvre|
|Website Manager||Sherry Charles|
|Membership & Events Coordinator||Sarah Flaherty|
|Administrative Coordinator||Meriem Bouhaddouda|
Posting Notices in the Email Bulletins
The Alliance’s email bulletin, Quoi de neuf, has received recognition for three years as an industry All-Star (exceptional Open and Click rates). It has 5,380 opt-in subscribers and is sent 3-4 times per month. The public, and especially current Alliance members, are encouraged to submit French-connected postings for the newsletter, to firstname.lastname@example.org. The Alliance reserves the right to edit all submissions for space considerations, sections, formatting, stylistic consistency, and for suitability to the Alliance’s mission.
- Personal ads by Alliance members (Individual and Family membership) are free, on a space available basis; 1-2 per year (note that duplicate or repeat runs in a sequence are discouraged). Personal ads must be primarily non-commercial nature (see the rate below for listings of a commercial nature). Additional non-commercial postings may be submitted; fees of $40 per listing apply.
- Notices placed by our nonprofit partners/members in the area of the performing arts are generally free of charge and are published on a space-available basis.
- Notices of nonprofit Organization members (including the fields of education and host-exchange programs): 1-2 complimentary entries/articles/promotions per year; may be included in seasonal promotions by invitation. Additional postings are $40 per occurrence; additional postings are subject to the discretion of the Alliance and subject to space limitations.
- For-profit Organization members receive 1-2 articles per year and may be mentioned in seasonal promotions, on a space-available basis. Additional postings are $50.
- Commercial, for-profit listings can be placed by all members at a per-issue sponsorship fee of $50.
- Commercial listings by non-members can be placed for a per-issue sponsorship fee of $75.
Contact the Alliance for partnership programs that include featured presence on the website and in the email bulletins.
The U.S. Network of Alliances
The U.S. network of officially chartered Alliances Françaises is more than one hundred strong. Visit the Alliance U.S. Delegation website for the complete roster of Alliances.