Annual Calendar 2017
Winter Term 2017: January 9 – March 18, 2017
Spring Term 2017: April 3 – June 12, 2017 (Memorial Day Off)
Summer Term 2016: June 19 – August 26, 2017 (July 4 Off)
Fall Term 2016: September 11– November 18, 2017
In addition to the standard 10-week terms, there are shorter intersession terms, as well as occasional five-week terms and short intensive terms.
Intersession Winter/Spring: March 20 – March 24, 2017
Spring Break: March 27 – March 31, 2017
Summer Break: August 28 – September 1, 2017
Intersession Summer/Fall: September 5 – September 8, 2017
Intersession Fall/Winter: December 4 – December 15, 2017
Winter Break: December 18, 2017 – January 3, 2018
Private lessons are held year-round and are independent of the scheduled terms.
Open House dates in 2017:
Thursday, March 23, 2017 (for the Spring 2017 term)
Thursday, June 8, 2017 (for the Summer 2017 term)
Thursday, September 7, 2017 (for the Fall 2017 term)
Thursday, December 7, 2017 (for the Winter 2018 term)
Other 2017 dates:
Spring Gala: February 18, 2017
Bastille Day, Saturday, July 15, 2017
Beaujolais Nouveau, Friday, November 17, 2017
The Alliance Française, headquartered in Paris, is a worldwide non-profit organization with the mission of promoting Francophone culture and language and cross-cultural understanding. There are over 1,000 Alliances in the world. Of 100 Alliances in the U.S., the Portland group is the only Alliance in Oregon and ranks 7th in the United States.
The Alliance is a nonprofit 501(c)3 organization with a volunteer board of directors.
The Alliance hires teachers who have FLE experience and who have CIEP/CECR C1/C2-level fluency in the language. Candidates must have proof of legal authority to work in the United States and generally must be local recruits. Send employment inquiries to email@example.com.
Anti-discrimination statement: The Alliance does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, veteran status, disability, marital status, or sexual orientation in any of its programs or activities.
Board Officers and Members
|President||Bev Voytko (Retired Insurance Industry Executive)|
|Vice-President||Jennifer Coyne (Portland-Area School Teacher)|
|Treasurer||Judy Kafoury (Executive Director of the Northwest Children’s Theater)|
|Secretary||Kathryn Mascorella (Piano Teacher)|
Alliance Board Members
|Leslie Averill (Dental Practice Manager)|
|Jim Chapman (High-Tech Industry Scientist)|
|Jason Herzog (Web Developer, Tourism Marketing)|
|Kimberly Shute (Real Estate Broker)|
|Executive Director||Sherry Charles|
|School Director||Katy Le Bris|
|Pedagogy Manager||Linda Fuchs|
|Office Manager||Susan Strieff|
Emeritus Executive Director
Posting Notices in the Email Bulletins
The Alliance’s email bulletin, Quoi de neuf, has received recognition for three years as an industry All-Star (exceptional Open and Click rates). It has 6,100 opt-in subscribers and is sent 3-4 times per month. The public, and especially current Alliance members, are encouraged to submit French-connected postings for the newsletter, to firstname.lastname@example.org. The Alliance reserves the right to edit all submissions for space considerations, sections, formatting, stylistic consistency, and for suitability to the Alliance’s mission.
- Personal ads by Alliance members (Individual and Family membership) are free, on a space available basis; 1-2 per year (note that duplicate or repeat runs in a sequence are discouraged). Personal ads must be primarily non-commercial nature (see the rate below for listings of a commercial nature). Additional non-commercial postings may be submitted; fees of $40 per listing apply.
- Notices placed by our nonprofit partners/members in the area of the performing arts are generally free of charge and are published on a space-available basis.
- Notices of nonprofit Organization members (including the fields of education and host-exchange programs): 1-2 complimentary entries/articles/promotions per year; may be included in seasonal promotions by invitation. Additional postings are $40 per occurrence; additional postings are subject to the discretion of the Alliance and subject to space limitations.
- For-profit Organization members receive 1-2 articles per year and may be mentioned in seasonal promotions, on a space-available basis. Additional postings are $50.
- Commercial, for-profit listings can be placed by all members at a per-issue sponsorship fee of $50.
- Listings by non-members can be placed for a per-issue sponsorship fee of $75.
Contact the Alliance for partnership programs that include featured presence on the website and in the email bulletins.
The U.S. Network of Alliances
The U.S. network of officially chartered Alliances Françaises is more than one hundred strong. Visit the Alliance U.S. Delegation website for the complete roster of Alliances.