French Conversation Groups
Conversation groups in Portland are available for varied levels of French. Conversation groups are a great way to strengthen existing language skills and motivate continued learning, as well as meet others who share a passion for French.
Participation is free and pre-registration may be required. Check individual listings below for more details. Currently most groups meet online.
FEATURED CONVERSATION GROUPS THROUGH THE ALLIANCE FRANÇAISE
Available during the school term:
These conversation groups are offered to our members at three different levels and are led by our teachers and volunteers, and are overseen by our education team. They start the second week of each term and follow the term calendar, including the breaks in-between terms. For the school calendar, visit this page. For any questions, please contact Elene Zedginigdze.
Being a student at our Alliance is not required in order to participate in conversation groups; however, membership is required. Sign up here for membership.
WINTER GROUPS START THE WEEK OF JANUARY 15. CURRENTLY GROUPS ARE ON BREAK.
- Conversation Group for Beginners: for Alliance students in 100 and lower 200 series or members currently acquiring the CECR A1 level.
- Conversation Group for Intermediate French Speakers: for students in upper A2 level and and B1 series or members currently acquiring the CECR A2 to B1 levels.
- Conversation Group for Advanced French Speakers: for French speakers at the CECR B2 to C1 levels.
Available year round:
National Weekly Apéro-Conversation Group: This is a free weekly conversation group on Zoom, run by Linda Witt (former director of AF Portland and an Officier dans l’Ordre des Palmes Académiques). This group is open to all Alliance Française members in the United States for drop-in conversation on Wednesday nights at 5pm-6pm (Pacific). The group, in coordination with the Fédération des Alliances Françaises USA, welcomes speakers at high-intermediate, advanced, and native levels. Register here for this group and receive reminders and the Zoom link.
The Alliance conversation groups are for Alliance members only: Sign up here for membership (just $36 provides membership benefits for a full year. Memberships are tax-deductible.)
NORTHWEST AND CENTRAL PORTLAND
- Groupe francophile: Meets Saturdays from 10:30 a.m. to 12 noon at the Market of Choice, SE 10th and Belmont. The first Saturday of the month the group meets by Zoom and in person the remaining Saturdays of each month. Contact Jon Danzig for more information. All levels welcome.
- Alliance group, les Copains du Dimanche: Meets every Sunday, 4:00-5:30 p.m. on the mezzanine of the Market of Choice, 1090 SE Belmont Street, Portland, OR 97214. Hosted by Alliance member Alan Grinnell. Contact Alan for more information. All levels welcome.
- French Book Club: A French language and literature group meets every other month to discuss a French-language book. Participants read the book in French and discuss it in French on Zoom. Contact Alliance member Cindy Crawford for more information.
- Samedi au Village: French Quarter – Meets on Saturdays, 5:00-6:00 p.m. Contact Ed Birnbaum for more information. All levels welcome.
The Corvallis group: Celebrated its 55th year in 2019, averages 25-30 people for its weekly meetings, Tuesday mornings from 10-12. For current status, contact Jody Altendorf. All levels welcome.
Vancouver French Conversation Group Resumes on January 14!
We're excited to announce that the Vancouver Conversation Group is reuniting, and they’re kicking off their gatherings starting on January 14th! Join every Sunday at 6pm at Tiger Garden, located at 302 8th West St., Vancouver, WA 98660. This group is open to French speakers starting at the intermediate level, providing a friendly and supportive environment for language practice and cultural exchange. For any inquiries or additional information, feel free to contact the host, Bruen Tucker.
The independent Cercle Français meets regularly on the second Thursday of the month from 11:30-1:00pm at the French Quarter in Multnomah Village, 3425 SW Multnomah Boulevard, Portland, OR 97219. Contact Odette Kermorvant-Sellon for further information.