How to Take an Online Class
The Alliance Française currently operates from a virtual office and will offer online classes for the foreseeable future.
Accounts for Online Learning: Google Classroom and Zoom
Beginning with summer term 2020, group classes will meet online using a combination of the Google Classroom and Zoom video conferencing.
• Google Classroom is a learning platform specific to the class that you are taking.
• You will receive an email with invitation to join the class you are taking.
• Well in advance of the day your class starts, click on “Join” in the invitation email you received.
• If you have a Google account (gmail), just sign in with your gmail password, if prompted.
• If you do not have a Google account (gmail), watch this video to access the classroom with your non-gmail email address.
• In the Google Classroom, under “Classwork” you will find a link to start the Zoom meeting for your class (See Zoom, below).
On the Classroom landing page, you will see Stream, Classwork, and People:
• Stream: Find class announcements and posts here. You can interact with your classmates by writing in the box “Share something with your class.” When your teacher and classmates sign-in to Classroom, they will be able to see your message.
• Classwork: Find the documents your teacher has selected for this class.
• People: Find the class list of students and your teacher's name here.
Join Zoom from your Classroom:
In order to join Zoom directly from your Classroom, go to “Classwork” and click on the link “Click here to join your class” or “Zoom link to join your class.” (Your teacher might use slightly different language for those links.) Your Zoom meeting ID and password will also be marked right under your class name.
Note: The links to Zoom will remain the same for your class throughout its term.
Tip: Please do a test sign-in to your Google Classroom a day or two in advance of your scheduled class, to ensure that you are comfortable with the sign-in process. You may not be able to join the class Zoom meeting until the class begins.
Contact the support desk if you need any assistance, or call the office at 503.223.8388.
The Alliance Française uses Zoom for online classes, so you will need a Zoom account and the application to take a class. For group classes, you will access the Zoom link in the Google Classroom.
Note: Private classes and French à la carte workshops only use Zoom. A Google Classroom is not necessary.
Sign up for a free Zoom account at https://zoom.us/signup (you do not need a paid account), and download the Zoom application onto your device (PC, Mac, iPad, smartphone, etc.) Remember to keep your login information handy.
You can test Zoom on your device at http://zoom.us/test
Tips for Online Classes
• Wear a headset or earbuds with a mic. This will enable you to hear better and be heard. Wearing earbuds also reduced feedback and echo coming through your device's microphone.
• Mute your mic when you're not talking. On a PC or Mac, you can temporarily unmute your mic during class by holding down the space bar to speak.
• Minimize background noise in your room before you start class (turn off the radio, feed the cat, etc.)
• Make sure people can see you! Do not sit in front of a bright window if possible and use the overhead light and/or add a lamp that will illuminate your face.
• Hold a Zoom visit with a friend or classmate. Give each other feedback on how visible your faces are.
To learn more about Zoom
The Zoom site has extensive resources for users such as this guide to joining a meeting: https://support.zoom.us/hc/en-us/articles/201362193-How-Do-I-Join-A-Meeting
You might also enjoy this Wikihow article: https://www.wikihow.com/Join-a-Zoom-Meeting-on-PC-or-Mac
Useful for Zoom troubleshooting:https://support.zoom.us/hc/en-us/articles/214629443-Zoom-Web-Client#h_2da60ac7-455e-466f-85d1-974aa68f0703'